Traveling by air has gotten harder since the terrorist attacks begun. This has made packing for traveling a challenge. While packing you not only have to ensure you are following the guidelines of the airlines but now you have TSA (Transportation Security Administration) regulations to follow. The TSA guidelines are very strict. There are some guidelines that if they are violated it can mean going to jail. Here are a few points to follow when packing to ensure you keep within the TSA guidelines.
- Follow the can and can’t list very closely. Taking the time to ensure you are not packing anything on the can’t list is worth your time. These are the items that have the chances of causing you to be arrested.
- Follow the 3-1-1 carry on liquid restriction. This restriction only allows you to bring 4 ounces or less per container of a liquid. They must be in 1-quart size, clear, plastic, zip-top bag and there is only 1 bag per passenger allowed.
- Label all of your electronic items. Make sure every item has your full name and contact information on them.
- Pack all of your items in layers with the heaviest item on top. Fold your clothes in case your are selected for a detailed search. This will help the TSA agent sort through your baggage quicker.
- Medication should always be packed in your carry-on bags. All medications must be in their original, clearly labeled bottles. They need to be bagged separately and put on the top of your bag so you can hand them to the TSA agent separately from the other items.
The chances are you will need to buy toiletries that will comply with the TSA guidelines. If you are going to lock your luggage, then you need to make sure that they are TSA approved luggage locks. Before you go shopping take the time to do an online search for discounts. There are many websites that offer coupons and discount codes for various merchants. One such website is Groupon.com. They have discounts ranging from free shipping to percentages off of products or final price. Follow the regulations and leave early and getting by the checkpoints will be easy.